Clerking an auction in the Wavebid system is swift and helps to ease the accounting process. Wavebid provides several clerking options depending on the auction need. The article describes process for clerking in Wavebid. For information on clerking sheets, see Clerking Sheets.
- Navigate to the appropriate auction from the Dashboard, then select Accounting > Clerk this Auction.
- Use the drop-down to select the Auto Advance preference.
- Off: Clerk manually pulls up each lot by entering the Lot Number into the Lots search field and hitting the Enter key on their keyboard. This action is repeated for each lot.
- On the Fly: Clerk starts with the first lot and enters Winning Bid and Buyer information and then hits the Enter key on their keyboard. This saves and auto-advances to the next lot. This option allows for new lots to be created and clerked mid-auction.
- Cataloged: Clerk starts with cataloged first lot and works in order
- If the Sale Type field was pre-defined when the lots were created, check the Use Cataloged Sale Type box. This will automatically toggle the Sale Type to whatever was selected while cataloging. For more information, see Lot Builder.
- Select a Screen/Ring from the drop-down. Click the Start Auction Tube button. For more information, see Auction Tube.
- Check the Seller code required box to require that the Seller Code be entered when clerking.
- Check the Seller code default to previous box to
- Once options are selected, the Clerking Options panel can be minimized by clicking the Arrow on the left side of the panel. Click the Arrow again to expand.
Once Options have been selected, clerking can begin.
Please note, a lot that has already been clerked can be clerked again (re-clerked) using the same steps listed below.
- Enter a Lot Number into the Lot search field and click the Enter key. The lot will load below. Multiple Lot Numbers can be entered at once as long as they are separated by a space or comma. See below for more information on Clerking Multiple Lots.
- Enter a dollar amount into the Winning Bid field and then enter the bidder's paddle number into the Buyer field. The Tab key can be clicked to move between these fields.
If the Reserve Not Met button is clicked, the Buyer will be recorded as "RNM" (Reserve Not Met) and that status will appear on the Priced Inventory Sheet in Accounting Reports.
If no one bids on the lot, click the Pass button.
- Click the X to the right of a Lot to close it without clerking.
- Hit the Enter key to Save and move to the next lot. If the Auto Advance preference is set to Off, enter the next Lot Number into the Lot search field and hit the Enter key.
To edit a lot while clerking, click the Pencil icon to the left of the lot. This will allow the clerk to edit the Lot #, Quantity, Title/Description, Seller (Seller Number), and Quantity Purchased fields. To exit the editor, click the Circle-backslash icon the left of the lot.
Hotkeys are available to reduce clicks on the Clerking page, which can be helpful when clerking large groups of lots. To view the full list of hotkeys, click the Keyboard Shortcuts link in the top right corner of the page.
Clerking a Quantity
If the quantity on a lot is more than one, two Sale Type options will appear. If Times the Money is selected, the buyer will be charged the Winning Bid amount multiplied by the quantity purchased. If Lot is selected, the buyer will just be charged the Winning Bid amount, as that amount is for the entire quantity purchased.
10 birdhouses are being sold in Lot 7.
The first bidder purchases 5 of them at $10 each, so he’ll be charged $50. This first group sold will then automatically be labeled as "Lot 7*1" because it was the first group sold in Lot 7. The Sale Type will be TIMES (times the money).
Now there are 5 remaining birdhouses to be purchased.
3 birdhouses are sold to the next bidder. That purchase will be recorded under "Lot 7*2" because it was the second group to be sold in Lot 7. This time, all 3 birdhouses were purchased in a group for $25. In this, case the Sale Type is LOT.
If the Sale Type field was pre-defined when the lots were created, check the Use Cataloged Sale Type box at the top of the page in the Clerking Options panel. This will automatically toggle the Sale Type to whatever was selected while cataloging. For more information, see Lot Builder.
Clerking Multiple Lots
If more than one lot is being clerked at once, additional options and fields will appear below the Lots search field.
This option is often used if similar items are in the ring. The buyer has a choice of any or all items in the ring. Select a Sale Type of either Times the Quantity or Price per Lot.
- Times the Quantity multiples the winning bid times the number of lots in the ring. Enter the Winning Bid amount at the top of the page, and enter the Lot Numbers into the Which Lots field, if they aren't already listed below. Entering the bidder's Paddle Number into the Buyer field will populate all of the lots with that Paddle Number. Click the Save Selected button in the bottom right corner of the page to save all of the entries before moving on to other lots.
- Price per Lot indicates that each lot will be sold at a separate winning bid amount. Enter the Lot Numbers into the Which Lots field, if they aren't already listed below. Entering the bidder's Paddle Number into the Buyer field will populate all of the lots with that Paddle Number. Then, fill in the Winning Bid fields for each lot. Click the Save Selected button in the bottom right corner of the page to save all of the entries before moving on to other lots.
Similar to Choice, except that the bidder must take lots in the order listed. For example, if 5 lots are in the ring, one bidder could bid on lots 1-3, while the next person could bid on 4-5. A bidder would not, however, be able to bid on lots 2 and 5, as they are not in order. The Times the Quantity and Price per Lot Sale Types work the same here as they did under Choice.
Selling by group will sell all of the lots in the ring at once. The Times the Quantity and Price per Lot Sale Types work the same here as they did under Choice. If One Price is selected, the buyer will be charged one amount for the whole group of lots.
The Clerking History report displays each clerking transaction for an auction. To access the report, navigate to the applicable auction from the Dashboard, then select Accounting > Reports > Clerk Ring History. Scroll to the right to see all of the columns in the report.
The Action column will indicate whether the clerking action was New (meaning it was clerked for the first time) or an Update (meaning it was re-clerked).
Use the Search field at the top of the page to search for an item on the report.
Click on the column headers to change the order of items as they appear on the report.
To export the report, click the Export button in the top right corner of the page and then select the export type.
Columns can be added or remove from the report by clicking the Columns button in the top right corner of the page. Click on a column header to add or remove it. Column headers in blue will not appear on the report. Column headers in white will appear on the report.
If the Clerking page is displaying an invoice pop-up that created a lag when each lot is clerked, turn off the processing of Seller Settlements. If Seller Settlement processing is turned on, Wavebid will automatically update the Seller Settlements as each lot is clerked. This can create a lag when clerking a large number of lots. Turning of the processing should improve clerking time. Seller Settlement processing an be turned back on as soon as all lots are clerked. For steps on turning Seller Settlement processing off and on, see Seller Settlements.