This article describes the process for completely changing the numbering of lots within an auction by creating and uploading a CSV (Comma-separated values) file. For smaller re-sequencing needs, see Edit Lot Sequencing. For information on moving lots to another auction, see Move Lots to Another Auction. For information on changing lot details in bulk, see Lot Bulk Actions.
Preparing a CSV File
Before the lot numbers can be changed, use spreadsheet software (ex. Excel) to prepare a comma-separated value (CSV) file. The file should only contain two columns, titled
newLotNumber. There should be as many rows in the spreadsheet as there are lots currently in the catalog. In the example below, lots 1 through 5 are being re-numbered to become lots 101 through 105:
It is important that all lots be entered into the CSV file, otherwise the re-numbering might lead to unexpected results. Before proceeding, create a Universal export of the auction as a backup of the catalog’s current state.
Once the file is prepared, it must be saved as a CSV (comma-separated values) file type. Download a sample file here.
Change Lot Numbers
- Navigate to the appropriate auction on the Dashboard and select Catalogs > Sequence Lots.
- Click on the Bulk Lot Number Change button in the top right corner of the page.
- A pop-up window will open. Click the Choose File button to upload the CSV file.
- Type CONFIRM in all uppercase letters to have Wavebid proceed with the change.
- Confirm that no one else is working within the auction to prevent any issues, as Wavebid will lock the auction down while the change is taking place.
- Click Yes, I’m Sure.
The contents of the file will then be written into the Wavebid database. The page will refresh and should reflect the new sequencing.
After the lot number is changed, the lot will have an Inventory Number field visible in Lot builder. This field will contain the last lot number assigned to the lot, unless inventory numbers were imported with a catalog. If inventory numbers were imported with a catalog, those inventory numbers will remain in the Inventory Number field regardless of whether the lot is moved.
If the current lot number and inventory number are the same, the Inventory Number field will not be visible.
- Cause: A lot number is specified in the
originalLotNumbercolumn that does not currently exist within the catalog. As the lot doesn’t exist, Wavebid is unable to re-number it.
- Solution: Only specify lot numbers that exist in the catalog. Either remove the row from the CSV file, or create them in Lot Builder.
- Cause: The target lot number in the
newLotNumbercolumn already exists elsewhere in the catalog.
- Solution: Remove the row from the CSV or manually re-number the lot using the Lot Builder.
Example CSV File
Download a sample file here.