Wavebid has provided users with the back-up .zip files to their WordPress websites. When the website was transferred, it was using WordPress 5.5 – this is the baseline needed in order to be successful in importing a website. Any plug-ins or deviations from this may cause unintended consequences.
This document just serves a general guide. Users are still responsible for backing-up their files and being sure they understand the impacts if something goes awry.
The below information provides information and guidance to perform this process and consists of the following sections:
Unzip the provided WordPress zip file into a folder in the Downloads section of Windows file manager.
Log into your NEW Host Provider. If you have been experiencing issues, please DELETE all Files and folders from your current HOST Server. Remove any plug-Ins (except the downgrade plug-in).
When that is completed, follow the steps below to downgrade your WordPress site from 6.0 to 5.5 (if not already on 5.5).
- From your WordPress admin, hover your mouse over the Plugins menu option on the left side of the page and click on Add New.
- Use the Search field in the top right corner of the page to search for ‘Wp Downgrade‘.
- Click the Install Now button to download and activate the plugin.
- Hover your mouse over the Settings menu option on the left side of the page and click on WP Downgrade.
- In the WordPress Target Version field, enter the release you want to downgrade to (5.5).
- Click the Save Changes button and, when prompted, click on Update Core.
- You may need to take the additional step of hovering your mouse over the Dashboard menu option on the left side of the page, clicking on Updates, and then clicking the Re-install Now button.
This should give you a clean environment with WordPress 5.5 (the version of choice and the last version your site used).
Once that’s done, please log out and close all browser windows (restart your computer if you wish). Then re-open your browser and log back into your WordPress host space. Validate the version is now 5.5 and then begin the import process below.
Self-Importing to WordPress
- Create a new WordPress Database on the Host provider.
Log into your Host server with the supplied credentials. Connect to the 'CPanel' or 'Toolbox'. Open 'MySQL Database' (or ask your host provider support team what method they use to create new databases). A new 'MySQL Database' and a new 'MySQL User' (add this user account to the new database and grant it ALL Privileges) need to be created.
Write these credentials down and save them.
- Edit the wp-config.php file on your local machine (bridge between database and WordPress).
- Navigate to the folder where you unzipped the zip file that Wavebid provided containing all your WordPress files and locate the file called wp-config.php – this is the file that lets WordPress and your Database speak to each other.
- Three (3) very distinct changes must be made to this document:
- Change the Database name:
- Locate the following line: define('DB_NAME', 'db_name');
- Change the 'DB_NAME' portion as this references your old WordPress Host. Please change this to the NEW MySQL database info you just created in Step 1.
- Change the Database username:
- Locate the following line: define('DB_USER', db_user');
- Change the 'DB_user' portion as this references your old WordPress Host. Please change this to the NEW MySQL database info you just created in Step 1.
- Change the Database user password:
- Locate the following line: define('DB_Password',db_pass');
- Change the 'DB_pass' portion as this references your old WordPress host. Please change this to the NEW MySQL database information you just created in Step 1.
- You can perform a search (Ctrl+F) on the document to find each instance of "DB_xxx" and update it accordingly.
- Change the Database name:
- Save and close the file. Be sure to save to the same location it was originally within the rest of the WordPress files. Do not save it elsewhere.
- Once you have your WordPress site set to version 5.5, you have your new database named and ready, and your user info and wp-conf.php file have been updated, you can start the import of the site.
- Import your WordPress Database.
- Launch your admin from the CPanel and select the Import feature.
- Click File to Import and navigate to the WordPress files location within the zip file and select the .sql file that's contained in the DB sub folder. For example: C:\your computer system\Downloads\20220517_auctionsolutions\auctionsolutions\db\662437_newerdb.sql
- Make sure the Partial Import option is not checked and the format is set to Sql.
- Click GO! to begin the import. You will be notified once it is complete.
- Upload the WordPress files.
- Now that the Database and wp-config.php is established, connect to the FTP and browse to the location of the zip WordPress files.
- Upload the files to the Public_html folder or the main directory for your site. This will take some time to upload.
- Once complete, the site is in the new host
- All plugins, etc. should be there as well, just as the site was when it was on the original server.
Any additional questions please reach out to your WordPress Administrator. Wavebid cannot make edits to any WordPress sites- including downgrades, installing plugins, or uninstalling plugins.