Customer segments allow companies to reduce the cost of marketing by tagging bidders by their purchasing habits, or granting easy access to a 'VIP' bidder list. The following article describes the process for configuring Wavebid to allow for the creation of customer segments, and then applying those customer segments to bidders individually, or in bulk through an import. It also describes the process for exporting the data for use in any other 3rd party marketing systems.
Create a Company Person Attribute
A Company Person Attribute will need to be set up in order to configure Wavebid to tag bidders. Company Person Attributes are the configurable feature to add new fields to bidders/customers.
- Navigate to My Links > Company > Customers > Company Person Attributes.
- Click the Plus icon in the top right corner of the page to add A New Company Person Attribute.
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter a Name for the Customer Segment.
- Use the drop-down to select an Input Type:
- Checkbox: Creates a checkbox that can be checked or unchecked to indicate that the buy is or is not part of that Customer Segment.
- Combo Box: Select a single option from a drop-down list.
- Select: Select a single option from a drop-down list.
- Select Multiple: Select multiple options from a drop-down list.
- Text: Creates a text field for entering data.
- Text Area: Creates a larger text field for entering data.
- Input Data: Enter the options to select from. This field will only appear for certain Input Types. Values should be separated by a comma. For example, selecting an Input Type of Select Multiple and entering Input Data as "Boats, Airplanes, Helicopters, Vehicles" will result in a drop-down list with those three options to choose from.
- Select either Buyer or Seller from the Customer Type drop-down.
- Click the Save button.
- The new attribute will appear on the Company Person Attribute list.
- Click the Pencil icon to the right of the attribute to edit.
- Click the Trashcan icon to the right of the attribute to delete.
- Click the Four Arrows icon to drag and drop attributes into a new order.
Assign Segments Individually
Customer Segments can be assigned to bidders individually by following the steps below:
- Navigate to My Links > Company > Customers > Create/Edit.
- Enter the customer's name into the Find Customer field to locate an existing customer, or click the Create New button to create a new customer.
- Click on the Additional Attributes tab at the bottom of the page.
- The Company Person Attribute created above will be visible as a new field.
- Select one or several segments to apply to the customer. The Input Type chosen when the attribute was created will determine how segments are applied.
- This is an example of a Select Multiple Input Type. Multiple options can be selected from the drop-down.
- Click the Save button in the top right corner of the page.
Assign Segments in Bulk
Customer Segments can be assigned in bulk either by auction or by importing.
Assign by Auction
These steps are helpful in the event that all of the bidders for a particular auction need to be assigned to the same Customer Segment.
- Navigate to My Links > Company > Customers > List.
- On the Auction tab, enter the name of the auction in the Auctions field.
- Click the Search button to return a list of bidders who attended that auction.
- The collapsed Bulk Assign Person Attributes field should now be visible. Click on it to expand the section.
- Choose which Customer Segment(s) to apply to the list of bidders and click the Assign Attributes button.
- If the search results yield more than 2,000 results, the Customer Segment will only be applied to the 2,000 that are available in the Search Results table. If Customer Segments need to be applied to more than 2,000 bidders, the list will need to be downloaded and then imported using the import process outlined below.
NOTE: If the Customer Segment Input Type is Select Multiple, the chosen options will be added to the bidder's existing list. All of the other Input Types (Checkbox, Combo Box, Text, Text Area, and Select) will override the bidder's existing values.
Assign by Import
The Import Buyer process can be used if Customer Segmentation data is currently in another system and needs to be imported into Wavebid.
- Prepare a file containing the data to import.
- Checkbox: In the spreadsheet, ensure that the column indicates the values to enable check-boxes is one of the following options: TRUE, true, Yes, YES, 1. Any of those are acceptable values.
- Multi-Select: In the spreadsheet, ensure that the values within the column being used to indicate the multi-select fields are separated by commas. Example: If Wavebid has been configured to have a multi-select field that can be Helicopters, Vehicles, Boats, Airplanes. During the import, if all 3 should be added, the value should look like: Helicopters, Vehicles, Boats (separated by commas, with spaces).
- Navigate to the applicable auction from the Dashboard, then select Accounting > Import Buyers.
- If the file contains a header row, check the Has Header Row? box.
- To overwrite existing lots, leave the Do Not Overwrite Existing Lots box unchecked. Check the box if files should not be overwritten.
- Select a Delimiter from the drop-down. Comma is recommended.
- Click the Choose File button and select the file.
- Click the Upload button.
- Please note, if the same bidder is being re-imported, the new Company Person Attributes data will override any existing data.
- Drag and drop the Company Person Attribute fields that were previously created and map them to the columns in the Excel file.
- Once mapping is complete, click the Import button. If errors occurred, they will be displayed. If no errors appear, the import was successful. Spot check bidders to confirm results are as expected.
Note: If there are values in the Excel file that don't match up exactly with the pre-defined values entered when the Company Person Attributes were created, the values will still be saved into the database, but they will not be visible on the Customer Profile. They will, however, be visible on the Customer List report.
For example, if "Helicopters" is the pre-defined value, but it is listed as "Helicopter" on the Excel spreadsheet, the value will not be visible on the Customer Profile.
Export Customer Segment Data
Customer Segment data can be exported so that it can then be imported into other 3rd party marketing systems (ex. for a direct mail campaign).
- Navigate to My Links > Company > Customers > List.
- Use the various tabs to select filters to search for bidders.
- Auction Tab: This will return a list of customers who attended auctions based on filter criteria.
- Customer Tab: This will return a list of customers based on filter criteria.
- Lot Tab: This will return a list of customers who purchased lots based on filter criteria.
- Using multiple filters: The filters use "AND" logic between different filters. For example, on the Customer tab, if a State is selected and a minimum Total Spent is entered, the search will only yield bidders in that state who have spent that minimum amount.
- Filters with Multi-Select: Any filters that allow multiple selections (ex. State field) use "OR" logic. For example, selecting both Nebraska and Iowa from the State field will yield bidders located in Nebraska OR Iowa.
Click either the Search button or the Download button.
Search will visually display up to 2000 results, which can then be exported.
Download will produce an Excel file with all the results of the selected filters.
- Scroll right to view the Customer Segment column. The column title will be the Name of the Customer Segment (ex. Buyer Category Segment). Each Customer Segment will have its own column on the spreadsheet.
- The GUID (Globally Unique ID) column is also visible. This is a Unique ID for each customer. This is helpful if multiple searches need to be performed with the results then needing to be manually merged into a master excel file. The GUID field can be used to de-duplicate the results in the Excel file.
- Click the Export button to generate an Excel file with the results.