Using a scanner during the check-in process is an enormous time saver for most companies using Wavebid. This article describes the benefits of ID scanners and how they can be used within an auction.
Benefits of Scanners
Scanners allow companies to create, update, and maintain customer databases without delays- reducing those lines at check-in. Depending on the scanner, 12 fields can be auto-populated on the bidder or seller's registration form in just a few seconds with one swipe. Wavebid can auto-populate the below fields based on the card scanned:
- First and Last Name
- Billing Address, City, State and Postal Code
- Personal ID Number and Issuer
- Area Imaging scanners scan the 2D barcodes on state ID cards, as well as barcodes and VIN numbers.
- Note - Not all states utilize 2D barcodes on State ID's
Whether moving to Wavebid with an existing customer database, or creating a new database, scanners will improve the process.
Area Imaging scanners scan the 2D barcodes on state ID cards, as well as barcodes and VIN numbers.
The Honeywell Genesis MK7580g Area-Imaging Scanner (1D, PDF and 2D) with USB Cable is the recommended area image scanner for Wavebid. The scanner can be purchased through third-party suppliers such as Amazon.
Programming a Scanner
- Remove Scanner and Cable from box and packaging.
- Insert Ethernet end of the cable into the back of the scanner until it Clicks securely.
- Plug the USB end of the cable into the computer.
- Wait until you hear the device Chime and see the scanning area Light Up.
- If you Do Not hear the Chime your computer may be Muted. You may proceed to the next step but please ensure your Sound is On and Volume is Up so you can hear when you have successfully scanned the barcodes below.
- Scan the barcode labeled "Remove Custom Defaults".
- Scan the barcode labeled "Active Defaults".
- Scan the 2-D barcode labeled "DEFALT;DFMBK300997".
Using a Scanner
To check in a customer with a scanner, confirm the scanner is plugged in to a computer's USB port and complete the steps below:
- Navigate to the desired Seller or Bidder check-in form.
- Click in the Scan Personal ID field.
- Scan the ID.
- Hold the ID steady approximately 1 to 3 inches away from the scanner.
- Move the ID closer and further away slowly until it reads the barcode.
- Visually check all fields auto-populated by the scan.
- Confirm with the customer that the auto-populated fields are correct.
- Ask if the Shipping Address should be different from the Billing Address. If not, check the Use Billing Address box.
- Verify their Email so that they can receive emailed invoices.
- Complete any other desired fields and click the Disk icon in the top right corner of the page to Save.
- Continue with the Seller or Bidder check-in process.
If a Honeywell scanner no longer identifies a card scan correctly, follow the steps below to reset the barcode defaults.
When scanning the below barcodes, avoid scanning another surrounding barcode. Scanning more than one barcode at a time will cause the reset to fail, and require the troubleshooting process to be done again.
- Reset to the company scanner defaults by scanning this barcode.
- Apply custom defaults by scanning this barcode.
- Test the scanner using this barcode.
- Bidder Check-In
- Seller Check-In
- Importing Bidders and Sellers
- Create and Check-In Sellers
- Payment Gateways