Wavebid offers the ability to import external catalogs and closing data from Excel, which saves time when managing auctions.
Formatting a Spreadsheet
When importing spreadsheets into Wavebid, the column headers do not need to correspond to fields found in Wavebid, but the process will be easier and faster if they do. When importing from services like BidWrangler, Proxibid, and others, mapping can be done without re-formatting columns.
To view a sample CSV (comma-separated values) file, use the Wavebid Sample Data Set available under Help > Resources.
Spreadsheet Column Header Recommendations
To import previous catalog work and closing data from an auction, it must be saved as a text delimited sheet; either a Comma-Separated Value (CSV), Tab Separated Value (TSV) or Pipe Separated Value (PSV) spreadsheet.
When saving a spreadsheet, the file type must be set to one of the above and the appropriate Delimiter setting must be selected during import.
Uploading a Spreadsheet
To upload a catalog, navigate to the appropriate auction on the Dashboard and select Catalogs > Import Catalog. To upload closing data, select Accounting > Import Sale Info.
The Lot Import page will open. Select upload options:
- Has header row?: This default setting assumes the first row of the file is a header row containing column titles. If this is not the case, uncheck this box.
- Do not overwrite existing lots: This setting adjusts to add new lot numbers and their data rather than updating existing lots in Wavebid. The imported spreadsheet will overwrite any lot details unless this box is checked.
- Delimiter: Most files are saved as a file type of CSV and will use COMMA (default), but if the file type is a TSV, select TAB, and if the file type is PSV, select PIPE.
Click the Choose File button, select the file to upload, and click the Upload button.
Mapping the Columns
After uploading the spreadsheet, mapping will need to be confirmed.
Mapping determines what spreadsheet column will be pulled into which Wavebid field. It is useful to review mapping data each time a spreadsheet is imported. Spreadsheet column headers are listed under Your Headers on the left, with the Mapped to field to its right. The Mapped to field is auto-filled based on the column's name.
If applicable, select an existing Maxanet, CUS, Proxibid, AuctionZip, etc. mapping from the Existing Mapping drop-down. Making a selection will remap the columns according to the export order of those services.
Mapping can be done manually by dragging and dropping any of the blue Wavebid headers (on the right side of the page) to the applicable Mapped to field.
There are two additional options, when needed:
- Append to previous: This will merge a column's information into the column before it.
- Include header: This will include the header as part of the data imported into the database.
To save, check the Save your mapping? box. This mapping can then be used on future imports. After checking the box, enter a title in the Mapping Name field before moving on to import.
Once mapping is complete, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Import button.
Once the Import button is clicked, the import process cannot be stopped.
If there were any issues, they will be displayed when the import is complete. If there were problems with the import, the data will not be updated.